Friday 7 July 2017

The calm before the storm.



So it's the day after we collected the kit and with Graham setting off for home after lunch, we decided that it would be prudent to get the chassis up on tressles whilst there were two of us. A quick trip to Screwfix and we were armed with a pair of tressles and eight heavy duty castors. The idea was to fix the castors to the trestles by creating some form of baseplate, thus enabling me to move the chassis from one side of the garage to the other. In the end, the castors for now at least are not being used because:

A: Even with the tressles at their lowest height, the addition of castors would make it difficult to work comfortably, and

B: The tressles, despite being rated for a weight substantially more than that of the Zero at this stage, allowed a disconcerting amount of lateral movement if you gave the chassis a nudge.

I plan to make use of the castors when I've completed the first phase of the build and am ready for the engine to go in, at which point I'll drop down to axle stands.

Against my better judgement, I couldn't resist climbing (carefully) into the drivers side and making the obligatory "Brum Brum" noises.....
Don't be fooled by the grin, I'm actually holding my breath!
Tomorrow's Saturday and we've got a family get-together to attend, so I will have to wait a little while longer to get my hands dirty. Plan for Sunday is to open the many boxes from GBS and create an inventory of all the parts and where I've stored them. When I begin the build in ernest, I don't want to waste time trying to find misplaced parts!

1 comment:

  1. I had the same trestles and they just about survived up to the engine stage. With the diff and rear suspension on, the rear was starting to buckle...

    ReplyDelete